We’re making a game! Well, to elaborate, the GT group is going to build a game collaboratively, as well as exploring game design independently. Here are the notes from our very first brainstorming session. They won’t make a heck of a lot of sense if you’re just seeing them here for the first time. I’m posting them more as a reference tool for our participants.
It’s going to be a platform game, à la Super Mario Bros., because that is a familiar and simple enough template that we can get something cool quickly, since we are not ‘reinventing the wheel.’
- Main character could be a TEENAGE MALE.
- If it is a teenage male, he could have a slingshot as a long-range weapon.
- Daniel suggests Todd as a name, and two other students support this.
- TODD (description):
- He’s a teenage boy.
- He’s playing video games, and gets teleported into the game world.
- He’s strong, but average; a bit of a loner. In the game world, he gets to be cooler than in the real world – is more suave, e.g.
- TODD (description):
- Joseph suggests Digio, and some think that Digio could be cool as a boss or an evil twin – a digital clone of our main character.
Game World + Enemies
- What makes a game world interesting and fun?
- The difficulty could change according to the level; the number of hearts/HP could as well.
- Enemies could include monsters.
- If there are monsters, they could evolve and/or grow, like in Pokémon.
- There could be elemental characters – a water monster, a fire monster, e.g. – and they could have corresponding elemental weaknesses.
- There could be combining characters – monsters that take on the features of other monsters.
- There could be characters from familiar games.
- E.g., a Mario-like guy, maybe as a boss or a NPC: “You’re-a stealing my game-a!”
- There are imitations of familiar hardware: the Zii, for example.
- Daniel’s pitch:
- Daniel pitched the idea of a teenager entering a game world, i.e. entering his favourite video games.
- Other level ideas:
- A crystal cave world, with crystal stalactites and stalagmites; there could be fire, traces of an alien culture. (Rucel’s idea?)
- A space level, with reduced gravity. (Karim’s idea, I believe.)
- A fantasy world: the main character wears a cloth tunic; there are puzzles; you have 4-6 hearts. The enemies could be knights, evil pixies with wands that fire. The boss could be a giant, mutant chicken. (That last one is Daniel’s idea.)
- Maybe NPCs become playable?
- At certain points in the levels, you can switch characters.
- Some secondary characters reappear, some don’t.
- Maybe there’s a fairy godmother…
- Maybe a cellphone is used to switch characters…